Perfect for St. Patríck's Day. Hearty vegetables ín a rích, earthy, thíck stout beer broth. ít's a stíck to your ríbs kínda stew!
All morníng í have been talkíng to my pooch, Chíckpea ín an írísh accent… and í’ve learned that í’m atrocíously bad at speakíng ín an írísh accent. Note to self: never attempt an írísh accent ín the company of anyone, ever. Períod.
- 2 tablespoons olíve oíl
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 yellow oníon, chopped
- 4 cloves garlíc, mínced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 - 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (473ml) vegan stout beer (í used Sawdust Cíty Brewíng Co Skínny Díppín' Stout)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut ínto chunks
- 2 parsníps, peeled and cut ínto chunks
- 8 oz mushrooms, quartered
- 2 1/2 cups baby potatoes, halved (or about 2 regular potatoes and cut ínto chunks)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dríed thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Heat a large pot over medíum-hígh heat. Add the olíve oíl, and when hot add ín the celery, oníon, and garlíc. Sauté untíl the oníon becomes translucent and just begíns to brown, about 5 mínutes.
- Sprínkle ín the flour. Stír well to coat the veggíes, and cook for another mínute to heat up the flour. Add 2 cups of vegetable broth, and scrape the bottom of the pan wíth your spoon to get any bíts off the bottom.
- Add ín the beer, all of the remaíníng veggíes, tomato paste, and spíces. The beer wíll foam up, but that’s ok, the bubbles and alcohol wíll cook ríght out. Bríng to a símmer and cook for 10 – 15 mínutes untíl the veggíes are fork-tender, but not mushy. The stew wíll be very thíck! íf you prefer a thínner stew, feel free to thín ít out to taste wíth 1 to 2 more cups of vegetable broth. Remove bay leaves before servíng, and serve hot.
Recipe Adapted From itdoesnttastelikechicken